What? Is a little cold weather slowing your two step? I hope not. Well, if you are in Chicago, you know this City never really stops. We may sleep but we work through the frost and polar winds. Double digit negatives are nothing. In the words of Death Cab’s Ben Gibbard, “I don’t mind the weather, I’ve got scarves and caps and sweaters.”
Now, if you really want to build up that inner heat without the extra layers (or doing some yoga but that’s cool too), I recommend getting the blood pumping by shaking those hips, pumping those fists, and moving those legs on the dance floor. Or perhaps sharing your body warmth with one, two or twenty strangers in a tightly packed, sweaty music venue near you.
In case, you need some suggestions on what and/or who to see, here you go. These are shows which I’m excited about. It’s not exhaustive so if i missed something, please, please let me know. I’m not musically omniscient. A bit clairvoyant but certainly fallible. …These are only for Chicago, but if the band is referenced here they are likely on tour so check out their site for a tour date near you.
…and yes I do sleep. but not much. see you at the front of the house!
(legend… bold = definitely attending; italics = very likely attending; hyperlinks for venues; thoughts for giggles)
- Feb. 1st – Califone & William Tyler @ Lincoln Hall
- Feb. 4th – Hospitality @ Schubas
- Feb. 6th & 7th – Neutral Milk Hotel with Elf Power @ The Riviera Theater
- Feb. 9th – the Pixies with Cults @ the Riviera Theater
- Feb. 12th – Dads & Reggie and the Full Effect @ Subterranean
- Midweek Emo Alert!
- Feb. 18th – The Flat Five (Kelly Hogan, Nora O’Connor & Crew) @ the Hideout
- dial back to some classic
- Feb. 18th – Delorean @ Lincoln Hall
- Feb. 20th – Bleeding Rainbow @ Emporium
- Indie-rock and classic arcade games? I think this is heaven.
- Feb. 21st – Now Everybody (nee/formerly Shallow Diver) @ Debonair Social Club
- gonna start things off with an infinite jam..
- Feb. 22nd – Alejandro Escovedo & Peter Buck (of R.E.M.) @ Lincoln Hall
- Feb. 25th – Caveman @ Double Door
- Feb. 26th – Sons of the West @ Lincoln Hall
- Feb. 28th – Cloud Cult @ Lincoln Hall
- Doing a Dylan: electric and acoustic set in one night
- Mar. 1st – Into It. Over It. @ Bottom Lounge
- Mar. 1st – Broken Bells & Au Revoir Simone @ the Vic
- I’d go for ARS; BB put me to sleep last time
- Mar. 7th – Classixx @ Double Door
- Dance Party!!!
- Mar. 13th –16th – I’ll be in Austin, Texas for SXSW… you guys will have to find your own shows for that weekend J
- Mar. 18th – Lorde @ the Aragon
- she’s lovely, the venue is awful…i’m kind of over going to all ages shows, be prepared to fight the young ones for a good view
- Mar. 21st – So Many Dynamos @ Township
- Mar. 23rd – The War on Drugs @ the Metro
- Mar. 26th – Future Islands @ Lincoln Hall
- Mar. 27th – James Vincent McMorrow @ Lincoln Hall
- soulful, swooning, epic, engrossing vocals to soothe your soul
- Mar. 27th – Real Estate @ the Metro
- Mar. 28th – Warpaint with Cate Le Bon @ the Metro
- Mar. 29th – Shearwater @ The Empty Bottle
- Mar. 31st – Dum Dum Girls @ The Empty Bottle
- Swoon… if they play “There is A Light…” I can die happy.
- Apr. 1st –…And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Your Dead @ the Empty Bottle
- Apr. 1st – The Orwells @ Lincoln Hall
- Apr. 3rd – Typhoon, Lady Lamb Beekeeper, Wild Ones @ the Metro
- LLB is amazing live… i imagine typhoon will be too!
- Apr. 4th – London Grammar @ the Metro
- Apr. 5th – St. Vincent @ the Riviera
- Apr. 8th – the Jezabels @ Lincoln Hall
- such great energy from these Aussies; glad they are back!
- Apr. 10th – Tycho @ Concord Music Hall
- Mesmerizing, intoxicating, gorgeous electronic downtempo; get ready for some Zen
- Apr. 11th – Galaxie 500 @ Old Town School of Folk Music
- Apr. 12th – The Men @ the Empty Bottle
- This show should be really loud!!!
- Apr. 12th – Betty Who @ Lincoln Hall
- warning awesome dance party will definitely occur
- Apr. 15-17th – The National with Daughter @ the Chicago Theater
- Spring Residency? best live rock band out there right now
- Apr. 25th – I Break Horses @ the Empty Bottle
- Apr. 25th – We Are Scientists, PAWS @ Lincoln Hall
- Apr. 26th – Waxahatchee @ the Empty Bottle
- May 7th – Woods @ Subterranean
- May 9th – The Both (Aimee Mann and Ted Leo) @ the Metro
- May 13th – Neko Case @ the Chicago Theater
- The lovely mesmerizing voice of Neko, great acoustics and Kelly Hogan? Does it get any better?
- May 16th – Mogwai @ the Vic
- May 17th – Haim @ the Riviera (sold out)
- These girls rock
- July 18-20th – Pitchfork Music Festival @ Union Park – duh.
- The Smiths… I wish.