Whan that Winter, with its chilly days, blustery winds, and snowy skies, arriveth on these Northe American climes, thanne bands longen to go on pilgrimages…err tours! (apologies to Chaucer.) And lots of great bands will be out on the road for folks to see and hear!
Below is a list of the bands I think are worth checking out. For each band, I’ve embedded a link to their respective tour dates across the country (and globe). For those living in the Windy City simply click on the venue and it will take you to the site for purchasing tickets for shows if not otherwise sold out. (Note: Shows in Bold are those for which I already have tickets and will be in attendance. I can always be persuaded to catch additional shows.)
- Scottish rockers… if you like the sound sulking and drudgery and the smell of peat and bogs, then you already love this band
3/7-8 – the Head and the Heart @ the Vic (Sold Out)
- …and you thought Seattle only produced rock bands? gorgeous folks harmonies and sylvan melodies to take you back to a far rustic frame of mind.
3/9 – Maritime @ Empty Bottle
- …has the aura of a young Patti smith about her, a captivating and haunting voice with aggressive and arresting lyrics.
3/15 – Grimes @ Empty Bottle
- Stephen Merritt and co. create some of the wryest, catchiest, and clever brill building-esque pop songs.
- Somewhere between psych and glam opera; definitely a dress up and bizarre dancing affair.
- 80s evocative indie-dance group from BKLYN; in 2011 I saw these guys open for James Blake and they were a lot of fun!
3/30-31 – Jeff Tweedy (Scholarship Benefit Show) @ Vic Theatre
3/31 – Hood Internet @ Empty Bottle
- Nobody is as clever with mixing and mashing tempos from indie rock standards and hip hop bangers
- This Aussie is about to blow up bigger than Olivia Newton John. If you haven’t heard of him, go here. Now.
4/5 – Wild Flag @ Metro (Sold Out)
- These ladies rock hard and if you haven’t seen them remedy this now!
- Nashville Alt-Country rockers whose music is drenched in pain, sweat, and Whiskey. Need I say more?
4/16 – Death Cab for Cutie w/ Low @ The Chicago Theatre (Sold Out)
- The Pride of Bellingham, Washington
4/28 – Tortoise @ Empty Bottle
- If you’ve never seen these Chicago stalwarts, you NEED to see them if only to witness one of the finest and most captivating drummers/percussion sections of any group out there.
5/4 – M83 @ the Riviera – (Sold Out)
- Saw M83 four years ago at the Empty Bottle, I’ve rarely been so tired from dancing or drenched in sweat (except for LCD Soundsystem) as I was that evening.
5/12 – Andrew Bird @ Auditorium Theater
- Rumor has it that there will be snacks.
- …they seem to be waltzing back into our lives.